Thursday, May 28, 2009

Angel of Death

As I have said I have officially quit collecting comics, or at least the individual issues. I am now firmly in the "wait for the trade" crowd.

IncognitoThat having been said, when I first got back to Vegas I picked up the first three issues of Eisner Award-winning writer Ed Brubaker's "Incognito." Ed is the current writer on "Daredevil" and "Captain America" as well as his creator owned "Criminal" (which I am way behind on.)

I finally got around to reading "Incognito" tonight. It is the story of a super-villain in the witness protection program done in a noir, crime fiction style. It is pretty good, but it just reminded me of how much better I like having the whole story arc at once like watching a TV series season on DVD. Just having the first 3 out of 5 issues just doesn't cut it. I want the rest NOW!

Angel of DeathAnyway, that isn't what I wanted to talk about. I read in the letters section (ironically, something I wouldn't get in the trade paperback) that all 10, eight to ten minute, episodes of Ed's live-action serial, "Angel of Death" are now available on Crackle.com. It should also be coming out on DVD any time now, if it isn't already, as a single movie without the episode breaks and slightly longer cuts of each piece.

It is a story about a hardcore, hit woman named Eve, played by Zoë Bell (known for her stunt work doubling for Lucy Lawless on Xena: Warrior Princess and Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. She has more recently stared in Death Proof and Double Dare.) Eve suffers a traumatic head injury and suddenly develops a conscious in the form of hallucinations of one of her latest, if unintended, victims. As a result she starts killing up the chain of people who sent her out on that mission in order to find piece of mind.

It is pure pulp crime fiction, grindhouse style, fun with lots of action and bloodshed. If that is your thing, you should definitely watch it. And if you like seeing stuff like this, where you can watch it free online, make sure you buy the DVD when it comes out.

No comments: